Thursday, April 10, 2008

April Prayer Letter

Dear loved ones:

I (Laura) have been reading in Isaiah some recently, and I wanted to share a few verses with you that really struck me:

Behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth…I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more. Never again will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not live out his years; he who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere youth…They will build houses and dwell in them; they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit…They will not toil in vain or bear children doomed to misfortune; for they will be a people blessed by the LORD. (Portions of Isaiah 65:17-23, emphasis added)

These verses share a promise new heavens and a new earth. It seems to be a two-fold promise—a promise of things not only in the afterlife, but also to the Jews in their return from exile in Babylon, to offer them hope of a new Jerusalem. What a beautiful picture these verses paint! My heart aches for a place where there is no weeping or death, a place where life will be rich and good, where none of our hard work will ever be in vain.

A few weeks ago, my friend Kim wrote to me to share some sad news. Kim lived in Sierra Leone for about 6 months last year, working in an orphanage near the city of Bo. While she was there, one of her main tasks was caring for an infant named Solomon; she basically became his adopted mom for those months. Solomon was small for his age and malnourished, but while loved and nurtured by Kim, he seemed to be growing and gaining strength. She returned to the US a few months ago, and Solomon continued to receive loving care from the other staff at the orphanage. However, on March 5, little Solomon passed away. They weren’t really sure why—it just seemed that his little body wasn’t developing properly and he didn’t have the strength to fight off a sickness that came his way a few days prior.

About the same time that I read the email from Kim, I received the news that my 97 year old grandfather had also gone to be with the Lord. My grandfather had been such a gentle, constant presence throughout my life, and his funeral was truly a celebration of his life. Grandpa had a story for almost every topic, and I always loved hearing him reminisce about his days growing up in West Virginia and working in Akron. At his funeral, though, I got to hear many other stories about my grandfather—stories about his faith, courage and love, stories about the countless lives he touched in his 97 years. Although we rejoice that he is with Jesus and no longer suffering, his passing has certainly left an empty spot in the family, especially for my grandmother, his wife of nearly 72 years.

On this one day, March 5, 2008, these two went to be with Jesus. On this day, I sat with my Bible, and read Isaiah 65, thanking God for these two lives and longing for that day when, like in Isaiah 65:20, babies like Solomon won’t die so young, and when a 97 year old grandfather will be considered a mere youth. Both Solomon and my Grandpa touched so many lives, each one in unique and profound ways. I am grateful that these two individuals have been a part of my life, and that I have been forever changed by knowing and loving them.

It is our continued hope and prayer for Change One that each person we minister among will be changed by encountering the love of Jesus. We hear constant reports of high infant and child mortality rates and short life expectancies for our Sierra Leonean brothers and sisters; we would love to see the day when Isaiah 65 could become more of a reality in Sierra Leone as well. We hope that we can play a part in this by helping to provide nourishing food, safe shelter, and life-saving medication to the poor in Sierra Leone, all the while praying for the Kingdom of God to come in that country!

Thank you for your continued prayers and support for this ministry. Thank you for changing one.

With love,
Keith & Laura

No comments: